Friday, April 17, 2009

What Happens When You Vacation With A Fellow Blogger? (Part II)

After leaving the [undisclosed location], we turned to Peshy, and begged her, in our nicest tone of voice, to find a park for us. Together with her pal B~M, she pointed out a great place. Immediately, she got busy. "Arriving at destination!" she chirped. We all looked at each other on confusion. ("Get your eyes back on the road, SD!") Correction, B~M and BL looked at each other in confusion. "That looks like a patch of grass or concrete to me," was the common consensus. 

So we asked Peshy (very nicely) to try a little harder. She steered us to the next park. That's when the joys of English made their mark. "We're looking to park, SD," was my instructions. Shame they weren't clear enough. A minute later, I heard screeching. "That was a parking spot you missed!" I was pretty confused. "Why would I park?" The others couldn't even understand my confusion. "Because we're looking to park!" Sigh. And here I thought we were looking for a park! Silly me.

So eventually, we found our park, AND a place to park. "According to Peshy," bragged B~M, "this park is even on the water." I looked around, noticing the complete lack of anything resembling a river, and made sure Peshy wasn't listening. "Peshy's been wrong before, you know?" But B~M was insistent. 

So we packed up our matzah and headed into the park. "Uh, Bas~Melech, I don't see any water here, but maybePeshy should have come along to help us find a nice bench." B~M got a little upset at the insinuation that her little friend was wrong. She wanted to get a second opinion. "Why don't you ask that man," she said. "He's got a dog and a kid, he must be nice." It took the man a few seconds to turn around, and about as long for us to realize B~M's mistake. (In retrospect, B~M insists that it was intentionally loud and she does things like that for kicks.) He heard. And I guess he didn't want us guessing as to whether or not he actually is nice. "Do you need help?" was his 'nice' comment. Then he looked at the three of us, doubled over in laughter, and he got a little nicer. "Well, I know you needHELP, but aside from that..."  

Naturally, it was SD who composed herself enough to choke out a response. "We were wondering of this park is on the river." He looked surprised, wondering if that was all. "Sure, right over there is the tinylittlenoname river!" He pointed in the general direction, but SD and BL were too busy looking with wide-open mouths at B~M, who smugly asked the man for more specific directions to this elusive river. We never did find the river, which makes me wonder if the whole thing was really a conspiracy between B~M and the 'nice' man. 

We sat down on a bench, which, according to directions from the 'nice' man should have been right near the river. Having finished her food, SD noticed something interesting. The park may not have been near a river, but it was near an open wifi network. SD and BL had a nice little argument about who's email should be checked first, while B~M decided that we should probably be going back to the car 

Back in the car, it was time to head back. B~M issued some dire warnings to SD about her driving, who issued back some even more dire warnings about backseat driving comments being included in the blog post. And then we were off. A couple of sleepy hours later (no, Bas~Melech, I'm totally kidding! I was NOT sleepy! I was WIDE awake.) we reached our exit. Here is why I say it was sleepy. At some point along the way, Peshy went to sleep. WithoutPeshy's trademark 'ding' when we reached the exit, and without her glasses, SD didn't see the exit. It was an interesting twist of fate that had us roaming the wrong way down the same wrong street as we had in the beginning of our trip.

Thus, it was a bit later than planned that I finally arrived home, and had a minute to contemplate. What DOES happen when you vacation with a fellow blogger? I'd say lots.

11 comments:

blog lurker said...

this, from the blogger who NEVER posts more than one time a day. NEVER!

and we did NOT argue about wifi in the park. you had already logged out my email, and i didn't get to check it AT ALL until i got home!

Something Different said...

BL, sigh. This is one post, broken into two for the sake of my ADD friends...

We actually did. If B~M hadn't gotten herself out of there quickly you might have even convinced me that I should log out all over again... :p

Bas~Melech said...

You guys have no sense of humor. As if you can become nice just by buying a dog. Hmph. It's ok, don't bother to thank me for what was arguably the best improv episode of the day. Pity no one managed to keep a straight face long enough to keep it going.

Something Different said...

B~M, pity SD was the only one who was able to compose herself enough to ask him where the so-called- river is.
And *don't* say I have no sense of humor. I resent that.

Inspired said...

Nice trip;)

Floating Reflections said...

Love that you have a name for your GPS but at least I now know that I am not the only one who speaks to it! :)

Something Different said...

Insp- it was. When're we gonna go on a trip together? :-)

FR- I constantly talk to inanimate things. Some people say it's a sign of insanity but I am completely sane, so there you have it. ;)

Floating Reflections said...

LOL! I am too..Although mostly when I am driving I talk to fellow car drivers, is it my fault they dont hear me?

Something Different said...

FR- rofl. When I drive I usually keep a running commentary going, talking to all the other drivers about their driving, and of course, how it could be improved. ;)
I call them 'buddy'. Some people wonder how I have so many buddies on the road, but when your as cute as me... :-D

Inspired said...

I'm all there, as long as Peshy comes along...:p

Something Different said...

Insp- you'll have to get in touch with B~M and ask her. Peshy is her friend. ;)