Thursday, May 6, 2010

No Place Like Home!

I don't remember the last time I felt this tired. I could barely answer any texts tonight, I felt like I didn't have the strength in my thumbs to hit the keys. It makes sense after all. It's 11:30 at night, and my internal clock thinks it is seven hours later. (My father says that discussing it will make the j** l** worse, but if I don't, what will I blog about?)


Couple that with not sleeping last night, ten days of minimal sleep, and you have one exhausted and possibly incoherant blogger. But I just got home, and I am trying to force myself to stay awake as much as possible, and so this blog post, as well as this cake (chocolate crumb), are desperate attempts to engage in activities that will keep my eyes open another few minutes.
It's so weird to be home. On the one hand, I wish I were still there, a busride away from the kosel, an flight of stairs away from a breathtaking view. I wish I were still in the land of kedusha. But as we drove home from the airport, I realized that it's kinda nice to be home. It's nice to be in a country where the signs are in a language I can understand. It's nice to be back in a place where stangers don't growl at you for disturbing them to ask directions. It's nice to be in a place where the mattress won't reveal a little pea underneath. It's nice to be in a nice big supermarket and buy milk in a carton. It's nice to get behind the wheel of a car and driiiive. It's nice to see roads and know where they lead. It's nice to sleep in my own bed.
It's nice to be home.
(I hope to write some more posts about Israel, but right now I am so tired I can barely see my computer screen.)

7 comments:

little sheep said...

welcome back! the cake looks yummy, but i'm on a diet... ;-)

halfshared said...

Welcome back!! Hope you are feeling more refreshed after a good (?) night's sleep.

(Why is the word for word verification: cries? Is j**l** that bad?)

itsagift said...

Glad to see you're back!

I remember that feeling, happy to be back home but missing the holy land. That's what the feeling of leebi b'mizrach is all about. The main thing is that you bring EY back home with you and stay on that high!!

Hope you get over the jet lag quickly! (yikes! I said the word!)

Have a peaceful and relaxing shabbos!

grinfish said...

welcome back! hope you'll post some pics of your trip :)
...after you recover. ;)

kasay said...

You know, I'm quite offended and I think you should reread your post and decide if it qualifies for "dibat ha'aretz".

And next time you come, hook up with me. I'll show you huge beautiful supermarkets, comfortable beds, I'll show you that actually every single sign is also in English, and that many many people own cars. (Hey, why didn't you rent one?)

To make it sound as if you came to some backwards, primitive country is wrong , both ethically and truthfully.

Mushkie said...

Sounds like you had an amazing trip :) i always rate trips by the severity of the jet lag. i.e. falling asleep in class=mediocre trip, falling asleep while talking=amazing trip.

Something Different said...

LS- Yay! I won't tempt you...

HS- I am still exhausted, lol. But recovering, slowly.

IAG- THanks!

GF- Hey, haven't spoken to you in forever!

Kasay- I am really sorry if I offended you. I love Israel and want to go back. BUt there are certain conveniances I didn't have on my trip. And don't tell me you haven't heard of the reputation that Israelis have... But next time I come let's have a big meetup!

Mushkie- Well then my trip was super-amazing. ;-)