Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sign of The Times?

Maybe I remember the rhyme wrong, but I was pretty sure this is a sign of inflation.
My niece was at my house for shabbos. She was sitting backwards on my lap, and we were playing "Miss Mary Mack". It went something like this:

"Miss mary mack, mack mack
all dressed in black, black, black
with silver buttons, buttons, buttons
all down her back, back, back
she asked her mother, mother, mother
for fifty dollars, dollars, dollars..."

What? Fifty dollars? When I was a kid it only cost fifty cents to see the elephants jump so high! Is this because of inflation? Maybe today's kids want luxury box seats? Either way, I am feeling old. Once again

9 comments:

Mikeinmidwood said...

Yes I beleive it was fifty cents, and it only went up to 50$ because of the share of stocks the elephants had went down, and they didnt want to lay off any elephants, not because of inflation, in fact the dollar is doing great right now.

Something Different said...

MIM- Oh, I thought that it was because they had built a fancy new stadium and they have to pay for it by charging exorbitant amounts for the tickets.

EsPes said...

what was she rhyming 50 dollars with?
in my day it was 50 cents to see the elephants jump so high over the fence. cents and fence.

Bas~Melech said...

Yeah, I'm having the same problem as EsPes...:-/

anon#1 said...

Makes no cents to me!

tembow said...

funny... and i agree with EsPes too :)

Something Different said...

EP, BM, Anon, and TB- my niece is three. While her bubby thinks she is brilliant and can do anything, she doesn't know about rhymes yet. And anyway, my version didn't have that line about the fence. They just jumped so high high high they reached the sky sky sky....

nmf #7 said...

I agree with EsPes- it was to see the elephants jump the fence, and then they jumped quite high.

And Wikipedia agrees with me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Mary_Mack

Although, it used to be 15 cents...so inflation has taken its toll.

Something Different said...

Ok guys, I am not arguing with you. I will be seeing my niece tomorrow and I give her a firm lesson on the importance of rhyming. Happy now?