Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Difference Is Clear


I was in Ripley's recently. I was going to write a post with a whole bunch of not-so-exciting observations, such as the camera in the wax guy's hand has been removed, possibly stolen, but either way, they really need to replace it with a digital camera. I know it's an old couple, but even my grandfather has been trained to use a digital camera, so apparently film is officially extinct.
Anyway, there is a new exhibit right near the entrance, which has apparently achieved widespread fame:




This is not just a portrait of a great man. This testimony to our nation's first ever black president is made out of no more, and no less than 12,784 gumballs. Yep, you heard right. Gumballs.
It's kind of like the old favorite there, this picture of Lincoln: 


This remarkable portrait of the Great Emancipator is made completely out of pennies, all different shades. It's a pretty neat way to make his portrait, when you think about what is on the face of the penny. 


And yet, wouldn't you say that this is a far more respectable way to memorialize a great person and his accomplishments?

11 comments:

Bas~Melech said...

Heh, so true...

Gumballs. Real meaningful. [munch]

Something Different said...

B~M- a comment from you? Are you still breathing? Here, sit down, let me get your vitals.
And how could you? Those are NOT kosher gumballs!

nmf #7 said...

Echoing Bas Melech- so true. Love the point and the post. But I don't like gumballs....

Mikeinmidwood said...

I didnt know they made black gumballs, what flavor is it? licorice

Something Different said...

NMF- Gumballs or gum? Cuz I don't really do the gumballs thing, but there is never not gum in my mouth... And thanks! :-)

MIM- I don't think there were actual black gumballs. Maybe they were purple? I can't remember...

Inspired said...

True! Shelo Asani Goy...

Something Different said...

Insp- totally. ;-)

harry-er than them all said...

There is a reason why its in Ripley's and not in a 'real' museum. maybe they'll make a new portrait in a few years out of something more meaningful. oh but it is original

Something Different said...

HTTA- I think Ripley's is awesome. What do you call a real museum? The Metropolitan Museum of Art? Seriously...BORING.
(Sorry if that sounded very uncultured of me...;)

nmf #7 said...

SD- I don't like either, gumballs or gum. I also can't blow bubblegum bubbles. That's one childhood pastime I never learned (or had an inclination for.)

Something Different said...

NMF- you obviously live a deprived existance. I'm sorry. ;-)