Monday, May 18, 2009

Uh Oh! The Fashion Police Are After Me!

I complimented my coworker on her skirt yesterday, and was treated to a rant in exchange. "It's impossible to find cute navy skirts these days! Seriously, I searched all over till I found one." I looked at her, and had to laugh. She's quite a bit younger than me, so I had to remind her. "You know, it wasn't that long ago that even a nerd wouldn't be caught dead in a navy skirt. They were THAT nerdy."
Her mouth dropped in surprise, though I'm not sure why. She obviously doesn't wear what she likes, rather, whatever is in style. So I went on, figuring I'd shock her a little further. "Then I guess you don't remember the time when saying that someone wears vests would be the ultimate insult, huh?" Needless to say, she didn't, but she didn't see the irony in her navy and white vest and navy skirt get-up either.
In truth, I feel like this topic is so stale, it's an embarrassment to write about it, but as the sister of an MP, I am exposed to the brutal realities of fashion on a constant basis. And as many times as I hear the rules, I simply don't get it.
Not too long ago, I was shopping with MP in Woodbury Commons, an outlet mall near Monroe. I needed shoes, she needed more Brand Name Perfection. She led me to a part of the mall that was rather unfamiliar to me. I looked around at the stores, and I understood. These are not stores I frequent. Most of them are not stores I'd even know about if not for my familial relationship with Her Perfectness.
Ok, Saks I've heard of, but seriously, Tod's? Theory? Torre Burch? What gives?
I really wanted to find my shoes and get out of there, as shopping is not an activity I enjoy. So I turned to my sis and I said "uh, MP, I don't think these stores sell shoes for me. Can we please go to the part of the mall where they have stores like Nine West and Aldo?" She wasn't really paying attention. "Oh, look, Ferragamo! They have shoes sometimes!" I snorted, but not loudly enough to get me kicked out of Torre Burch, where we had just walked into. I asked MP if she wanted a bath towel, cause they were on sale for only $119. She didn't find that funny. Neither did I, btw.
In the next store, (don't tell! I forgot the name. It was probably hard to pronounce, if I had to guess,) MP tried on a navy top. I asked her if she has a navy skirt to go with it. Silly me. "The rule is that you're allowed to wear a navy top with a black skirt."
Woah.
Firstly, my poor coworker made herself crazy looking for a navy skirt for nothing. But more importantly- "the rule is?!?"
I saw my window of opportunity, and I pounced. "You're kidding me, right? The rule? Who makes these rules? The fashion police? And what happens if I break the rules? I get a ticket? Then what? I get points on my fashion license?" MP didn't find it funny at all. I mean, we should NOT be making fun of a topic as serious as this, huh?
But when I think about all this, things start to make sense. I must have had my fashion license revoked a number of years ago. Because the whole thing simply makes no sense to me.
I'll explain what I mean in my next post...

43 comments:

little sheep said...

lol

Anonymous said...

Just a short comment: it's Tory Burch.
And, it is still passe to wear a navy top with a black skirt. Just saying.

harry-er than them all said...

since when can you wear navy with black, ever?

The Child Inside said...

Unfortunately there will always be people who believe in these rules. Unfortunately for the people who don't know them, that is.

I love how you put a humorous spin on it!

Inspired said...

LOL

I had a similar confrontation with a coworker. "Navy is THE color, don't you know??"

oh, and I've recently seen a $2,500.00 jacket, navy with a black collar...

whoever said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
frumcollegegirl said...

sometimes when i hang out with friends who are conformists, i do something very 'against the rules',(whether it's a social thing, fashion, or whatever) just to shock them

it's mad fun :)

Mikeinmidwood said...

The penguin outfit (yeshivsh look) was always in style, right? otherwise I got my license evoked years ago.

Anonymous said...

just fyi, all you people who think you know the fashion rules- you can totally wear navy with black but it has to be different enough that you can tell that it was on purpose, not the type of navy that people are thinking, "is it or isn't it black?"

:) just thought you should all be clear on that lol

and one more thing, i think i will wear a navy vest tomorrow with a black skirt. so there! (jk)

Something Different said...

LS- You have been leaving some very lengthy comments on my blog lately. Don't think I haven't noticed. ;-)

IC (are you different from NMF? Is this a stat-tracker thing?) Did I spell it wrong? PLEASE don't tell MP! Please?!
And I think there are more specific rules bout the navy. I will have to clarify.

HTTA- that's what I wanted to know. Apparently you have to live in fashionville to get it.

TCI- don't admit to not knowing the rules. Just call yourself a non-conformist. ;-)

Insp- I hope you reminded her that recently it was THE out color. :-D

LL- You wont find me wearing navy and anything. I wear black. It simplifies things.

FCG- I tend to avoid conformists. I think I give them a headache. But you're right. It sounds fun. :-)

MIM- honest, you are asking the wrong person. Maybe someone else can help you.

TB- thanks for clarifying. ;-) You sound too close to MP for comfort. Please watch it...

Inspired said...

I told her it's green that's in.

Bas~Melech said...

I may be dating myself here, but remember when jumpers were babyish?

And I HOPE you've learned your lesson -- You don't go shopping with family; that's what friends are for. (and that's a RULE)

Something Different said...

Insp- lol

B~M- You aren't dating yourself in the slightest. I am still wearing the clothes from those days.
And are YOU volunteering? Remember, shopping makes me low, I think I need the stress of MP to counteract things a little... ;)

Riva Pomerantz said...

When I tried black with blue as a kid, my mother said I looked like a bruise.

Y'know how Descartes said: I think therefore I am? Well, I guess fashion-enslaved people would have a questionable existence.

Love your writing!

Something Different said...

RP- (What an honor!) I can see how that would look like a bruise, LOL. So you're traumatized for life?
That's an interesting perspective on MP's life. I wasn't sure what kind of an existence MP leads, but this makes more sense...

Thanks loads for the compliment, really. It means a lot to me. :-)

nmf #7 said...

Sorry, used Open Id for once, just to see how it worked.

2,500 is more than I'd ever spend in a lifetime on one outfit, so therefore, navy is still passe with black. And Tembow- I agree with that one. I've worn a light navy shirt with a black skirt before, just not the very similar kind.

Hey SD- your post sparked a discussion on the fashion rules. Neat!

Something Different said...

NMF- 2500 is probably as much as i have spent on all my clothes in my life. Nothing gives me more joy than getting a good bargain. :-)

EsPes said...

tory burch shoes are so cute!

also, i agree with tembow abt the navy and black

i got a very different perspective of u and ur sister from this post!

Something Different said...

EP- different how?

EsPes said...

i guess i got a different impression of both of u from ur other posts...
i didnt think ur sis was the type to care abt brand names and style since u made her seem so perfect and aidel. and i got the impression that u were stylish and liked dressing well... see this is why u shouldnt judge ppl from their blog posts lol

Something Different said...

EP- she is very aidel. I would say more so than me, although my mode of dress is so plain it would only be described as aidel. But theory makes some very aidel clothes....

And yes, great lesson! Never judge a person by their blog posts. ;-)

anonymous said...

EsPes-
Brand names is not a contradiction to aidel, but rather, in some communities the ultimate perfection.

Something Different said...

Anon- Why do you say that? what is aidel about brand names?

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that my sarcasm was not picked up. I was just poking fun at certain girls who *think* that the more designer labels they wear the more perfect and aidel they are!

Something Different said...

Anon- I like you. :-D
Can you come give MP a lil' talking to?

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I love your blog. :)
Sure I'll talk to her- but most of the time, these girls are hopeless!
(how can I reach her)

Something Different said...

Anon- thanks for the compliment! Make yourself a name for commenting so I can remember you as the gal who shares a philosophy with me...
Oh, and MP's number is: 1-800-PERFECT

:-P

little miss perfect too said...

I think we might know each other but i'll give her a call and will teach her a thing or two how to be perfect without the label.

Something Different said...

LMP- We know eachother?? Can you please email me? justablob at gmail dot com.
Thanks!

EsPes said...

all the aidel girls i know, dont even know about the brand names!

Something Different said...

EP- And here I am losing all of my innocence thanks to my very aidel sister... How does THAT work?

EsPes said...

haha i dont know!!! its all very twisted.

i think it all comes down to one thing- LIVE OUT OF TOWN!!! (haha sorry i just couldnt resist)

Something Different said...

EP- LOL! Will you stop that? ;-)

Little miss perfect said...

SD- No, I think you've got it all wrong.- You aren't aidel because you have a sense of humor!- I don't hink it has anything to do with your dress.

and OOT is the place to be- (wish I was there)

Something Different said...

LMP- do you know me or not? I am starting to hyperventilate!

And no, I don't have a sense of humor. You must be mixing me up...

harry-er than them all said...

lmp- untrue. perfect people have a sense of humor, they just don't make fun of themselves.

little miss perfect said...

SD- No need to hyperventilate- we know each other well.

Htta-true.

Something Different said...

HTTA- some don't. Please trust me on that one.

LMP- ok, stop this. You really have to tell me who you are. Or how we know eachother. Or something. What do you mean by well? Can you please email me. Or if you know my number send me a text. Or if you want post a comment with instructions not to publish. I have to know... Seriously.

Something Different said...

LMP- thanks. And yes I will kill you.

little miss perfect said...

Please don't.
its a good thing we arent in the same neighborhood!

(P.S. Doesn't my name suit me?)

little miss perfect said...

Or rather, I finally did something to warrant a visit from you.
if you are actually going to make the trip to me- it was worth it!

Something Different said...

LMP- sigh... just call me for goodness sakes.

Little miss perfect said...

Actually, I think its about time we got together for a face to face talk. Maybe i'll even take you-, uh - shopping?
(and you can invite MP - I owe her a lesson)