For this week's Top Ten Tuesday, we are going to explore some of the classic signs that it's Chanukah. Thanks to all of my friends who helped me with these.
10) You can easily tell which families on the block are Jewish and which aren't. Just check if their lights are inside the house or outside!
9) You offer your cleaning lady a homemade donuts and she declines, stammering in broken English that she has had more donuts in the past few days than she knows what to do with.
8) Lines from "Chanuka USA" are constantly running through your head.
7) Miraculously, nobody works late.
6) Family time! Oh, hey, let me just take this call, it's really important....
5) Those huge gallon-sized bottles of oil are constantly empty, no matter how many times you buy a new one.
4) You reach into your pocket for change for the parking meter, and all you pull up is a milk chocolate coin with "glicks" embossed on it.
3) Pimpled faces, grease mustache, and confectioner's sugar dusting on everyone's clothes.
2) The most yeshivish among us get to practice their gambling skills without anyone getting suspicious.
1) The kids never seem to be in school. It's a modern day chanuka miracle; the school gives vacation for a day and it stretches for eight!